Try this dish on Sunday when you have extra time on your hands. You can stir the sauce while you’re watching the Super Bowl or get your brother to do it and go run your errands (Think Goodfellows). Caveat: It’s a heavy meal and could put your guests to sleep, if the game already hasn’t.
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced 1⁄2 pound ground beef
1⁄2 pound ground turkey
1⁄2 pound ground pork
1⁄4 pound pancetta, diced
3⁄4 cup milk
3⁄4 cup white wine
28 ounce can Italian plum tomatoes
6 ounces of tomato sauce
fresh ground nutmeg
red pepper flakes
ground pecorino cheese
● In a large heavy frying pan over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and saute, stirring frequently, until it is translucent, about 8 minutes.
● Add the ground meat, breaking it up with a fork. Saute, stirring frequently, until no longer pink, add the pancetta a stir a minute longer.
● Stir in the milk and simmer until it has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
● Add the wine and simmer until it has evaporated, about 8 minutes more.
● Add the tomatoes, sauce and nutmeg, salt and red pepper flakes.
● Simmer stirring occasionally at least 2 1⁄2 hours.